Saturday, June 26, 2021

Dark Whirlwind

Dark Whirlwind

The months
somehow turned happy
in the dark whirlwind
of 1985.

Although doom was certain
earlier that year.
Before Summer came
and was now drawing to an end.

Hot Summer nights
at the Shadowville Spinning Mill..

Dark Summer nights in a room
in Cabbagetown
looking over the river.

I got a call on the
mill speaker phone.
Billy Yancy in the Supply Room
saying come down to the front.

So I headed downstairs
about a city block
to the front gates.

Dark whirlwind night
Carlton Culverson
the Plant Two supervisor
met me in the break room
with coffee.

Carlton said
"Don't fall for it, Doc,
let her keep on going
this time.

He reminded me
I could have any woman in the mill
I wanted.
"Don't ruin the rest of your life
on her."

I waved him off.
held my head down.
with furrowed brow.
and stepped back into the fray.

Into the taxi cab.
where she was in the back seat, crying.
excitement and smiles
as I got in with her.

"Hey there, cab driver
kick it, man.
Get us to Cabbagetown
get us to River Avenue on time."

-Will Dockery (6-9-21)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lay Black Night

Lay Black Night A mystery a little sparkle together. Slab of incredible Gemini events Twin Ace little pilot lines seen by one ofr more...